Guide, Mobility Scooters

What’s the difference between class 2 & 3 Mobility Scooters?

We’ve talked a lot recently about the types of mobility scooters available on the market and which class of mobility scooters you can use on public transport. There are a wide range of models and features available when it comes to getting a mobility scooter.

The biggest is deciding if you require a Class 2 or Class 3 Mobility Scooter.

What are mobility scooter/powerchair classes?

There are three key classes when it comes to mobility scooters which have been set out by UK the government that legislates the use of mobility scooters and how they can be used on UK roads and pavements. 


There are now key three mobility classes with one of those being traditional wheelchairs. These leaves two key classes when it comes to the types of mobility scooters which we talk about in more detail below. 

What is a Class 2 Mobility Scooter

Class 2 mobility scooters are usually lightweight and can be taken on various forms of public transport. The main difference between a class 2 and 3 mobility scooter is class 2 scooters can only be used on the pavement and are not allowed to travel on the public highway in the UK.

Class 2 Mobility scooters have a maximum speed they allowed to travel at which within the UK is currently 4mph, with most batteries fitted on these scooters being light weight making them easier to fold down and be packed away within your car boot.

The downside of a class 2 scooter is the overall travel distance they can go without the need for additional charging, because of this a lot of Aspire2 Mobility scooter customer typically opt to carry a 2nd battery just in case.

What is a Class 3 Mobility Scooter

Class 3 mobility scooters are much bigger than class 2 and not allowed on UK public transport although they have specifically been designed to allow longer commuting distances so make them the prefect scooter to get around local towns and villages.

Class 3 scooters can have a maximum speed of 8MPG and can be used on UK roads as well as pavements. If you’re considering a class 3 scooter then you will be required to register your scooter with the DVLA.

This can be done by completing a V55/4 form if you’re buying a new mobility scooter, or a V55/4 form if you’re buying a second-hand model.